Saturday, April 5, 2008

Home gym vs. Away gym

I've never liked going to the gym. I've never had a gym membership unless it was for a martial arts class or something of that sort.

I worked as a personal trainer at B***'s gym in West Los Angeles when I was still working on my Master's degree in Chinese Medicine. It was an eye-opening experience to say the least.

The environment was chaotic, constant activity combined with a cacophony of sounds from the TV monitors and the exercise equipment. Throngs of people would gather after the work day or weekends and grunt, churn and grimace their way to fitness. Meanwhile, as a trainer, it was my job to get member's started on a solid routine and offer nutritional advice wherever possible.

I walked away with the opinion that personal trainers are, mostly, incompetent. They are cheerleaders with a bit of anatomical knowledge but not much more. Trainers are not medical personnel nor are they nutritionists (again, mostly) but just well-meaning retail employees who earn a living on commission.

Don't get me wrong, there are those who enjoy going to the gym. It is a place away from home and work where some personal time can be spent towards the overall betterment of the body. It's simply that I don't like them.

Home gym. That's me. I have my boxing station, freeweights, yoga mat, pull up bar, dip station and, recently, kettlebells and my routine of running to keep me fit. Natural exercises using bodyweight and maybe a weight belt for added stress are more than enough for me.

No comments: